WHY LIVE IN THE LAFAYETTE AREA?
The Lafayette-West Lafayette area offers excellent opportunities for pleasant, affordable living in a friendly growing community where employers are actively recruiting skilled employees.
Lafayette's awards for its quality of life:
- Kiplinger's Personal Finance
Kiplinger's lists the Lafayette-West Lafayette area as one of the Top 50 Smart Places to Live in the U.S.
- Expansion Management, an online site that helps companies evaluate future locations, has awarded Lafayette-West Lafayette a five-star rating and includes it as one of the top 72 communities in the nation for quality of living (criteria include affordable housing, quality of public schools, reasonable standards of living, low crime rate, spouse employment opportunities, etc.).
Sources of community information:
In addition to the information provided on the Lafayette page, here are other useful sources of information:
We have a lively calendar of events at Purdue Convocation's series of drama, dance, and music; college sports; art exhibits; lectures, and other Purdue events. In the Lafayette area, you can take in such events as Civic Theater, Lafayette Symphony, Lafayette Art Center, art fairs, and the Feast of the Hunters Moon, a re-creation of the fall gatherings of the French traders, who journeyed down the Wabash, and the Native Americans, meeting annually at Fort Ouiatenon.
Housing is indeed very affordable here. Average homes are available at about $150,000-200,000. Homes in the $300,000-400,000 range tend to be upscale, on larger lots.
Two new hospitals will be built, along with new surgical centers:
Business and Industry:
University and Research:
- A new mall, Lafayette Pavilion is under construction.
- SIA (Subaru of Indiana) is expanding to begin production of a Toyota model as well.
- The Lafayette Journal and Courier, the local newspaper, publishes a lengthy list of major construction in the area that includes research centers at Purdue, surgery centers, schools, new box stores, apartment/business complexes, another branch of the Tippecanoe County Public Library, and so on.
Purdue University's Research Park and Discovery Park are expanding rapidly.
Academic and Research Opportunities:
City Employment Services: